Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Summertime Favorite

Macaroni Salad....

This is my Mom's recipe for Macaroni Salad; I believe it was passed to her from my Grandmother.  It's a simple recipe, but a great and easy summertime side dish or meal.  We are having it tonight with chicken. 

Macaroni Salad
1 lb box macaroni noodles (boiled al dente, drained and rinsed in cold water)
3 hard boiled eggs chopped
1 (5.75 oz) jar sliced green olives with pimentos (drained)
3 stalks celery cleaned and sliced
1/2 a small onion minced
1 Cup light mayonnaise (I use Hellman's Light)
salt and pepper to taste

In large bowl combine all ingredients and stir until everything is moistened.  Sprinkle with paprika before serving.

Note:  To make a complete meal, you can add boiled, chilled and chopped chicken breast.  Or, if you prefer, you can add a large can of solid white albacore tuna.  My Mom would serve it this way with blueberry muffins for dinner. 

I'll often make a large bowl on a Friday or Saturday and we'll enjoy it with grilled burgers, grilled chicken breasts, or grilled Italian sweet sausages.  The above recipe lasts my family approximately three meals with enough for my husband to take to lunch a couple of days.

Enjoy!

HDP