Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Mom's Italian Meatballs

I think spaghetti and meatballs gets a bad rap anymore as a low budget meal.  While it is inexpensive to make, it can be a very tasty and wholesome meal.  Growing up, it was one of my favorites.

My mom always used to make her own meatballs.  They are simple to make and if you use a ground sirloin or a lean ground beef, they aren't too bad in the fat department either.  I do add Parmesan cheese to mine, I like the enhanced flavor.

I made my meatballs yesterday morning with my other baking since I had the oven on.  I'll either heat them on the stove top, or in the slow cooker with one of our favorite sauces later this afternoon. 

Mom's Meatballs
1 lb lean ground beef
1 egg (slightly beaten)
1/4 cup seasoned dry breadcrumbs
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese (shredded or grated, it doesn't matter)
Dash of Milk to moisten

Mix all ingredients together.  Form small balls rolling the mixture between your hands.  Cook in a slow oven at 300 degrees for approximately 30 minutes.  I usually have about 26 small meatballs from 1 lb of meat.  (I cook mine on a broiler pan so the excess fat is cooked out of the meatballs.)

That's it!  Super simple and they are delicious.  No need for the oven today.  I have an Italian Herb Bread going in the bread machine (from this cookbook) that I'll serve with our spaghetti and meatballs and there will be plenty left over for my husband to carry to work the following day.

Joy in cooking!

HDP