Monday, August 23, 2010

Second Chances

We opened our windows last night and turned off the A/C.  It's beautifully cool this morning.  I can hear spontaneous chirping of the birds and the crickets are singing their song.  The cicadas are pleasantly silent, hopefully that is a sign that they are dying off.  We've had a lot of cicada damage to our trees this year.  Although we didn't see many, you could hear their hypnotic humming for a good part of the summer.

My devotional today focused on John 21:1-25.  It is where Jesus revels himself to his disciples after His resurrection.  The later part of the passage, is Jesus giving Peter a second chance.

How many times in life do we wish we had a "do over button"?  Turn back time and choose a different path than the one we chose to lead.  I know I've made many mistakes in my life that I wish I could erase, change, or be given a chance to "do over".

Jesus gave Peter a second chance.  Peter denied Jesus three times, turned his back on his friend in His time of need.  Jesus extends that same mercy to each of us and all we have to do is ask.

I'm thankful for the relationship I have in Christ.  I'm thankful for my salvation through Jesus' life, death, and resurrection.  God sent His son to die a horrific death for ME and for all, so that we might have eternal life with Him one day.  My life isn't perfect because of this, but it makes me want to be a better person and make better decisions.

God gives each of us a second chance and it's through His son Jesus Christ.

HDP