Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Savory Zucchini Bake and Pie for Dessert


THIS........is Savory Zucchini Bake and let me tell you, it is YUMMY (in all caps)!


A nice Australian woman, who I met on Ravelry, sent me the below recipe.  It sounded really good, so I thought I'd give it a try.  My husband isn't too fond of me trying new recipes, but he was glad I tried this one!  I did cut the recipe in half from it's original and converted the ingredients from metrics to US measurements (she had done some of them already).  This conversion chart came in super handy. 

I served the dish with homemade rolls and sliced peaches. I will definitely be adding this to our family's favorites!

Savory Zucchini Bake
3 eggs
1/2 C All Purpose Flour
1 1/4 C Zucchini (grated)
1/2 onion (finely chopped)
1/2 C bacon (I used precooked real bacon bits)
1/2 C cheddar cheese (shredded)
1/2 carrot grated
2 T vegetable oil (I used Canola Oil)

+  Spray pie plate with cooking spray
+  Beat eggs in a large bowl
+  Add the flour and beat until smooth
+  Add zucchini, onion, carrot, bacon, cheese and oil; stir to combine.
+  Pour into prepared pan and bake in 350 degree oven for approx. 35 - 45 minutes or until cooked through.

Then for dessert, my son helped me make.....
Easy-Peasy Banana Pudding Pie
1 pre-packaged graham cracker crust
1 pkg Banana pudding (I used sugar free-fat free)
1 3/4 C Milk (I used skim milk)
8 oz container Cool Whip (I used lite)

Mix milk and pudding together as directed on box.  Pour into crust and refrigerate until set.  Put the Cool Whip on top before serving.  (I usually slice a banana and put it on the crust before I pour in the pudding, but I didn't have one on hand today.)


Joy for the day........my husband liked it!

HDP