Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Soft as Lamb Scarf


I made the pictured Soft as Lamb scarf for my sister. 


It's a light fluffy scarf that has a nice drape due to using a larger hook size than called for with worsted weight yarn.  I'm happy with the end result, but it was a bit quirky to make trying to get both sides symmetrical. 

I used  Lion Brand Wool-Ease in Wheat that I had stored in my stash.  I thought the natural color would go with a lot of things and in that sense, she would get a lot of use out of it.  It's not a Christmas present, just a "sisterly" gift and I'll give it to her next time I see her.

So with all that being said, here are the instructions for my scarf:

Soft as Lamb Scarf
by Heather P.

6.5 oz (approx.) Worsted Weight Yarn (I used Lion Brand's Wool-Ease in Wheat)
K hook


Stitches used:
ch - chain
sc - single crochet
sl st - slip stitch

Small Shell = (2 sc, ch 2, 2 sc)
Large Shell = (3 sc, ch 2, 3 sc)


Scarf is worked lengthwise

Ch 170 (multiples of 3 + 2 for beginning ch)

  1. Small shell in 2nd ch from hook, *sk 2 ch, small shell in next ch, repeat from * across to end (total of 57 small shells).  Working in same st as last small shell, you will begin row 2.
  2. Small shell in same loop as the small shell you just completed in row 1 (this will make a little circle and you'll now be on the other side of your original chain), *small shell in the next single loop created by the shell on the opposite side of your work, repeat from * across (total of 57 small shells), sl st in next sc, ch 1, do not turn work.
  3. Small shell in ch-2 sp, and in each ch-2 sp across (total of 57 small shells), sl st in next 2 sc, ch 1, do not turn work (first side of edging is complete).
  4. Small shell in ch-2 sp, and in each ch-2 sp across (total of 57 small shells), ch 1, turn.
  5. Repeat row 4 until scarf measures 5 inches, ch 1, turn.
  6. Large shell in ch-2 sp, and in each ch-2 sp across (total of 57 large shells), ch 1, turn (this is the first row of edging for the other side of your work).
  7. Repeat row 4 (as written with the small shells).
  8. Repeat row 4 (as written with the small shells); fasten off.
 Weave in ends.



HDP