Monday, September 6, 2010

Funny Story and Happy Labor Day...

Saturday, we put out our corn stalks around the light post in our front yard.  The corn stalks are still green and have corn attached to them.  I thought it gave an authentic decorative look, so we left the corn on the stalks........

That evening, as we went to bed, we left our windows open.  The cool front was predicted to continue and I enjoy the night air.  At 3 AM in the morning, I was suddenly awakened by a sharp "snap" noise.  I listened for a little bit and heard some further rustling in the front yard.  I woke up my husband and in a loud whisper said, "I think something is outside eating the corn!"  I quickly got out of bed and peeked through the window.  I saw a dark shape by the corn stalk about the size of a small dog.  I thought, "What is that!".  So, I quiety, as not to disturb our visitor, told my husband, "I'm going downstairs to take a look." 

I tried to get a better view of the creature through the downstairs windows, but I wasn't having any luck.  The saying, "it's darkest before dawn", rang true for me right then.  I was left with no option but to turn on the light to satisfy my curiosity.  Long story, short, I turned the light on and whatever it was ran away.  Pure disappointment.

I headed back up to bed and told my (already back to sleep) husband, we'd have to take the corn off the stalks in the morning.  I stayed awake for a while listening for the intruder to come back and enjoy some of his new found food stock to no avail.  He either never came back, or I fell back asleep. 

I'm thinking it was a raccoon or a skunk.  Based on the size, I'd say raccoon and there was no residual odor when I turned on the light to see what it was.

Joy in an unexpected visitor and a little excitement!

Happy Labor Day, one and all!

HDP