Thursday, September 9, 2010

Crockpot and a Power Outage

I saw the truck pull up to the utility pole in the front corner of our yard.  "Oh, no!", I thought.  I had just loaded the crock pot full with what I hoped to be tonight's dinner. 

I opened the front door and tried to make eye contact with one of the workers.  They either didn't see me, or were ignoring a nosy housewife.  So, I yelled out, "Are you going to be turning the power off?"  They said, "Yeah".  "Humph", I thought to myself.  The guy then, obviously having second thoughts, turned around and asked, "Do you have someone sick in the house?"  "No", I said, "I have the crock pot going and I don't want to have to throw away my dinner."  He said, "Let me see what I can do".  At that, I closed the door and thought to myself, "whatever will be, will be." 

About 15 minutes later, a nice guy came to the door and said they would have to shut off the power, but they would keep it to 15 minutes.  My humph quickly turned to a hurray!

True to their word, they only shut off the power for 15 minutes.  I think my crock pot meal will be fine.

Joy in an understanding utility worker whose wife must also use a crock pot!

HDP