Friday, July 30, 2010

The Library

They skies were gray and we didn't have anything planned, so this morning my son and I headed to the library.

I've always liked going to the library.  When I was growing up, my grandmother worked at their local library.  I remember walking there to visit her and pick out new books.  I was a bookworm as a child and always seemed to have my nose in one book or another.  I liked being transported to the places in my stories and learning about different ways of life.

I think in grade school, my favorite books were Laura Ingalls Wilder's Little House on the Prairie series.  And of course, it was a popular weekly TV show at the time as well.  In my preteen years, I read a lot of Phyllis Whitney's mystery books at my grandmother's recommendation.  As an adult, I'm still drawn to a good mystery.  Mary Higgins Clark is probably one my favorite authors now, although I also enjoy reading some of the lighter "subject" fiction where the plot revolves around crochet, cooking, quilting, etc.  Monica Ferris comes to mind, as one of these type of authors, and can spin a good tale. 

I hope my love of books transfers down to my son.  Some of my favorite memories are of my grandmother reading to my sister and me at bedtime.  I remember tales of Curious George, Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel, Madeline, Little Toot, and Caps for Sale to name a few.  We'd always ask her to read the story again even though we'd just heard it, and sometimes she would. 

So tonight, as my son settles down to bed, I'll read to him some of these old favorites.  And, as I do, I'll be transported back to my childhood.  Remembering sitting on the little twin bed in my nightgown, listening in awe to the story unfold, as my grandmother read these same stories to me so many years ago.

Libraries are a threshold to a whole world yet to be discovered, an entrance way to adventure, and a means of transporting us to the past.

HDP
 
A good book is the best of friends.
-
English Proverb