Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Crockpot "Fried Chicken"

Last year for Christmas, my husband gave me the cookbook, Make It Fast, Cook It Slow from Stephanie O'Dea's blog, A Year of Slow Cooking.  I like the book a lot and have made quite a few things from it.  The majority of the recipes are quick, easy and affordable to make.

Today I made "Fried Chicken".  I've made this particular chicken dish numerous times as both my husband and my son like it a lot.

The recipe for "Fried Chicken" can be found on her blog.  If you decide to make it, you should note she has increased the amount of Seasoned Salt to 1 Tablespoon as well as increasing the Onion Powder to 2 teaspoons. 

One of the nice things about cooking in the crock pot is how it frees up your day to do other things; fix it and forget it.  We'll be having potatoes and green beans with our chicken, which is easy enough to fix  right before my husband gets home from work.  Another benefit to cooking in the crockpot is how wonderful it makes the house smell.

Instead of chicken legs, I use bone-in chicken thighs and remove the skin.  For my small family, five thighs are plenty.  My chicken is usually done in just a few hours since there is less of it.  I also blot the chicken on paper towels before I serve it to alleviate the excess grease.

Joy for today is in easy, but yummy, cooking and satisfying the family's taste buds.

HDP