Thursday, July 29, 2010

Simple, Light and Delicious

Lemon Cake!

I was in the mood to have something sweet following dinner.  So, I looked through the cupboards to see what I could come up with......I had everything I needed to make one of our family's favorites; Lemon Cake.  I found the recipe on-line a couple of years ago.  You can find the original recipe by following the link.  I don't make the icing they recommend and instead do a simple glaze.  Below is my version of their cake:

Heather's Version Light Lemon Cake

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Spray bundt pan with cooking spray and lightly flour

Ingredients:
1 box Yellow Cake Mix (I use Duncan Hines)
1 box Instant Lemon Pudding (I use Jello brand)
1 3/4 Cup water
2 Egg whites

Mix ingredients in large bowl on low for 30 seconds, then on medium speed for 2 minutes.  Pour into prepared pan.  Bake 40 - 50 min. or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.  Cool on wire rack 10 - 15 min. and carefully remove from pan.  Let cool completely.

Glaze:
1 1/2 - 2 C Powdered Sugar
2 teaspoons of lemon extract OR fresh lemon juice (more or less to suit your taste)
1 Tablespoon of water

Wisk glaze ingredients together until you get a good drizzle consistency.  If too stiff, add a little more water.  If too runny, add a little more powdered sugar.  Once the cake is cooled, drizzle glaze over cake.

YUM! 

HDP