Thursday, November 18, 2010

Chicken Soup...

...really is good for the soul.
Yesterday, I made good old-fashioned chicken soup.  I put it together in the crock pot and let it simmer all day.  The soft aroma wafted lazily through the house and had me looking forward to dinner!  Chicken soup is comfort food at it's finest. 

My mom used to make her chicken soup on the stove top.  I like to use the crock pot, as once you put it all together, you don't really need to watch it.  Occasionally, I'd give it a stir when I would walk through the kitchen (or want to lift the lid and "drink" in the scent from the steam), but it isn't really necessary.  My recipe is an adaptation of my Mom's.  It is simple; but good.  I hope you'll like it.  If you have a food processor, this is a great recipe to put it to use....who wants to chop, slice and dice all those veggies by hand!?!

Heather's Chicken Soup for the Soul

49 1/2 oz Can Chicken Broth (I prefer Swanson's); plus...
14.5 oz Can Chicken Broth
1 - 1.5 lb cooked chicken breast or chicken tenders chopped into bite size pieces
1 Onion diced
4 Stalks celery cleaned and sliced
6 Carrots cleaned, peeled and sliced
1 - 2 teaspoon(s) minced garlic (to taste)
1 Bay Leaf
1/2 teaspoon black pepper (more or less to taste)

1/2 Cup Rice* (not instant)

  1. Combine all ingredients except the rice in a 4 qt round crock pot
  2. Cook on low for 6 - 8 hours (or until vegetables are tender)
  3. Turn crock pot to high and add rice approximately 15 min. prior to serving (test to ensure the rice is tender before serving)
*I used Barilla's Stelline pasta in place of the rice this time.  I thought my son might like the star shape.  :-)

I usually serve the soup with a quick bread, dinner rolls, or fruit muffins.  Last night was cranberry orange muffins.  Yum!

Joy in simmering soup!

HDP