Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The Best Coffee Cake In The World...


...well, I might be exaggerating just a bit.  :-)

I made this for my MOPS meeting today (Mothers of Preschoolers); it was my group's turn to bring breakfast.  This recipe is easy to follow and I've never had one not turn out.

This is one of my Mom's recipes and a family favorite. I usually make it for Thanksgiving morning as I know I'll be busy with early morning cooking and I can make it the previous day.  I also like to make it for Christmas morning to go with our traditional oven omelet.

Family Favorite Coffee Cake 

Cake
1 Pkg. yellow cake mix (Duncan Hines works best)
1 Pkg instant vanilla pudding
1 Cup sour cream
½ Cup vegetable oil
4 eggs

Topping
½ Cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
2 Cups chopped nuts (I usually use walnuts)

  • Grease 10” tube or Bundt pan
  • Combine cake ingredients in a large bowl.  Mix and beat for a full 10 minutes on high speed. 
  • In the meantime, combine the topping ingredients in a separate bowl and mix well; set aside. 
  • Pour ½ cake batter into tube pan. 
  • Sprinkle half the topping onto the batter. 
  • Pour the remainder of the batter into the pan and top with the remaining sugar, cinnamon and nut mixture.
  • Bake at 325 degrees for about 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
 
Hope the ladies at MOPS like it and if not, I'll have plenty to bring home.  It certainly won't go to waste! 

Joy in baking!

HDP