Saturday, October 30, 2010

One Of The Things I Love About Fall...

...is the crisp cool weather......


...where a walk through the neighborhood is a delight to the body, mind and soul......


And upon return, walking through the door to the aroma of soup, chili, or stew is a warm embrace saying, "welcome home"...

This morning I made Taco Soup.  This is one of those recipes that has been around for a long time and most people have some version of it.  I don't know where it originated, but my recipe below is the one that was passed around my office when I was working.  It is very tasty and hearty.  I'm hoping it will be ready for lunch!  I've got the crock pot on "high".

Taco Soup
  • 1 lb. lean ground beef or ground turkey
  • 2 large onions diced
  • 1 qt canned diced tomatoes*
  • 1 can great northern beans (drained and rinsed)
  • 1 can red kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
  • 1 can whole kernel corn (drained and rinsed)
  • 1 package dry taco seasoning
  • 1 package dry Hidden Valley Ranch dressing (I used generic)
  • 2 bay leaves (optional)
  • 2 C water*

  1. Chop onion (I used my food processor - so much easier!)
  2. Brown beef/turkey w/onion until fully cooked (drain grease)
  3. Combine remaining ingredients in large pot (or crock pot)
  4. Cook until hot and boiling (in crock pot 4 hrs on high or 8 hours on low)
  5. Let simmer approximately 30 minutes (cook top only; add additional water if necessary)

*Note:  I can't find the 32 oz cans of diced tomatoes any longer so I added a 28 oz can and a 14.5 oz can and reduced the amount of water to 1 cup.

Weight Watcher Points:  1.5 C = 3 points

Wishing you a beautiful Fall day!  Can you believe Monday starts November?!?

HDP