Friday, October 15, 2010

It was a good evening for...



Mexi-Mac Skillet!

Yesterday's cooler weather left me with a "hankering" for something in the chili family.  I had taken some ground beef out of the freezer in order to make meat balls, but decided to go with this instead.  I really enjoy this recipe, it's quick, easy, and I usually have the ingredients on hand.

Mexi-Mac Skillet comes from one of my favorite recipe sites; tasteofhome.com. 

Mexi-Mac Skillet

1 pound lean ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
1 cup fresh or frozen corn
1/2 cup water
1 - 1/4 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano (I only use 1/2 a teaspoon)
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
2/3 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese (I use 2%)

Note:  I usually add 1/2 teaspoon of cumin in with the other spices


  1. Brown beef and onion; drain.
  2. Stir in everything (except cheese and macaroni), bring to a boil; add macaroni.
  3. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 18-22 minutes (or until macaroni is tender).
  4. Sprinkle with cheese before serving.

I made corn bread to go with this (Jiffy Mix; but don't tell anyone).  :-)

From tasteofhome.com, Mexi-Mac Skillet Recipe

HDP