I have a recipe for a Pumpkin Cake, that is really good and also happens to be low fat. So with this recipe as the base, I decided to try an Almond Iced Spice Cake. The "faint of heart" may cringe at my "special ingredient". Hee hee.
Almond Iced Spice Cake
- 1 package spice cake mix (I used Duncan Hines)
- 1 can (10 3/4 oz) condensed tomato soup (undiluted)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 egg whites (large)
- 1/3 C water
- 1/4 C unsweetened applesauce
- 1 1/2 C confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract (more or less to your taste)
- 1 to 2 T water (enough to get a good drizzle consistency)
- In large bowl combine all ingredients (except those for the glaze). Beat on low for 30 seconds and then on high for two minutes. Pour into a fluted "bundt" pan coated with cooking spray and lightly floured.
- Bake on 350 degrees for approximately 65 - 75 minutes (or until a toothpick or knife inserted near center comes out clean).
- Cool at least 10 minutes before removing from pan.
- In small bowl combine ingredients for glaze. Drizzle over cooled cake.
This cake contains no added oil. Keep in mind, while this is a low FAT recipe, that doesn't mean it's low SUGAR!
Joy in a little experimental cooking. And, it tastes good too!