Saturday, August 18, 2012

Last Hurrah of Summer!


This weekend is our last before we start school on Monday.  

I wanted to get in some fun family time, so we headed 2 1/2 hours North East to the rolling landscape of Hocking Hills State Park.  

(I just have preface this post by saying my photos don't do this beautiful place justice.  The rock formations, caves and naturalized areas are stunning.)

We started our journey early in the morning and drove past acres and acres of farm land...


So I crocheted to pass the time...


Once we arrived, we discovered that we weren't the only ones taking advantage of a pretty day; the trails were full of weekend explorers.


The rock formations were incredible...


We had access by bridge...


and steps carved from the bedrock.


It was beautiful and awe inspiring until...



We took the trail to Rock House.  If you have any fear of heights or an inkling of over protection for your children; forget it!  My stomach was in knots the majority of this trail.  The overlooks were cliffs with easily 100 foot or more drops.  

But I felt much better once we left Rock House and moved on to Ash Cave...




What a fun adventure to end the summer on!  
I'm so glad we made the trip.  

Has anyone been to Hocking Hills Ohio?

Happy trails!

HDP