Sunday, May 1, 2011

The Tablecloth Tale...


About a month ago, I received a package in the mail from my mother and enclosed was a family heirloom to be treasured....

My grandparent's crochet tablecloth.

The history of this beauty is still a little sketchy, but my mother and I have been able to piece together a few clues and discover that it was made by my great grandmother as a wedding gift for my grandparent who were married in 1943.  


 My grandmother kept a little diary of some of the wedding gifts she received and this lovely item is listed in her book as made by "Mom". 

Knowing my love of the craft, my mother passed this gem onto me and it now graces my dining room table.  


I'm so glad that my grandmother took care of this piece and that it has been loving used and cared for by her, then my mother, and now to me.  


The tablecloth is stained, but as an on-line friend said, that creates the history of the piece.  It's had a life and I'm hoping to continue with the tradition of this treasured family item.  

And, someday, I hope I can pass it on to my son's wife for her to treasure for special family meals.  

I wonder what the lifetime expectancy is for cotton thread?  

:-)

HDP