Tuesday, February 22, 2011

In The Beginning...


My mom used to crochet when I was little.  She took some classes in the evening and I remember her making these hats for my sister and me.  She also made a couple of afghans in harvest gold and avocado green.  I remember asking her to "show me how" and she taught me how to make my chain stitches.  But at that time, that was as far as I got...

Fast forward to modern times....

About 4 years ago, I was looking for something to do in the evenings while my husband watched TV.  I started with a little needlepoint kit I had, but soon discovered my eyes just weren't good enough for the little stitches.  Then, I remembered my grandmother had taught me to knit when I was a preteen, so I looked at my minimal knitting supplies and just couldn't get excited about that either.

So, the next time I went to the library, I found some books on crochet that piqued my interest.  I checked out a few, bought a hook and yarn at my local craft store, and started playing around with it.  The rest, as the saying goes, is history; I was "hooked".  I've been crocheting up a storm every since.

My mom doesn't crochet any more, I think she stopped sometime in the 70's.  So, with that being said, I felt it was my obligation to make an afghan for everyone in the family.  :-)

Most people in my family have at least one blanket I've made for them, some have more.  One of the very first projects I made was this afghan for my sister and her husband.  I made it with Red Heart Super Saver yarn in "sage".  As far as I know, it's still holding up and they are using it.



 What are some of your first projects?  How did you fall in love with your craft?

HDP