Friday, December 10, 2010

Easy Dinner Nite...

I wanted to make something easy for dinner last night so I took some chicken out of the freezer and thought, "I'll figure something out......"

Then a light bulb went on... 

 Why not fix Mexican Chicken and Rice... 


This recipe is from a friend, so I'm not sure where it originated.  If I had to guess, I'd say it was from a magazine..maybe a recipe advertisement for Minute Rice......  

This is simple, easy, and can be thrown together (and ready to eat) in just a short amount of time.  I usually add a dollop of light sour cream on top....

Mexican Chicken and Rice

1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1 Pound boneless skinless chicken breasts (cubed)
1 small onion (diced)*
1 small green pepper (diced)*
2 Cups frozen sweet corn
1 Cup chicken broth
1 Cup salsa (mild, medium or hot depending on taste)
1 1/2 Cups Minute Original Instant Rice
1/2 Cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • Heat oil in large skillet on medium-high heat.  Add chicken, onion and pepper; cook and stir until chicken is cooked through.  Add corn, broth and salsa; bring to a boil.
  • Sir in rice, cover, remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes.  Fluff with fork.  Sprinkle with cheese and cover again.  Let stand 2 minutes or until cheese melts.
Makes 4 servings.

*On nights when I'm feeling really pressed for time I have opted to leave out the onion and green pepper as both are in the salsa...

Enjoy!

HDP