Saturday, October 20, 2012

Saturday Food Fest


“The only time to eat diet food is while you're waiting for the steak to cook.” 
― Julia Child

We didn't have anything planned today, so I thought I'd try some new (to me) recipes.  

Crescent Roll Apple Dumplings

I was up early, showered and headed out to Wally World to pick up the ingredients I would need.  The "boys" stayed home and relaxed a bit before heading to the barber then to the library.  Since I didn't take time for breakfast, my first stop was Panera Bread for a good cup of Hazelnut coffee and an everything bagel.  That gave me the energy I needed to do the grocery shopping.  

:-)

Once home, I unloaded the mountain of groceries and told the boys to clear the kitchen.  (I tend to be a nervous cook; especially when I'm making something new.)

When we were in PA several weeks ago, I copied down the family recipe for caramel corn from my sister-in-law.  If you click the link (at beginning of post), it will take you to one that is very similar to the one I used, but mine doesn't call for vanilla.  This caramel corn is so good and I'm looking forward to snacking on a bowlful this evening.


Then onto the Enchiladas.  Absolutely delicious!  


Creamy, cheesy and OH so fatteningly good.  This is not a recipe I'd made through the week; too labor intense, but would definitely make it again on another lazy day Saturday.  

Once the enchiladas were in the oven, the plan was to make the Mexican Rice.  But I was drawing near to the end of my culinary adventurousness.  

So I threw together the apple dumplings.  My mom e-mailed the recipe to me after having them at a pot luck.  These dumplings are rich and oh so sweet.  Only thing lacking was a scoop of vanilla ice cream.  


I searched on-line for the dumpling recipe and found LOADS of similar ones, but none exactly like the ones I made.  A lot of them called for Mountain Dew (huh?).  Anyway, here is the recipe I used:

Easy Apple Dumplings
Preheat oven to 350

2 Medium Apples (I used Granny Smith)
1 Can Crescent Rolls (8 count)
1 Stick of Butter
1 Cup of Sugar
1 Cup of Water

Peel and quarter apples (remove core).  Separate rolls and roll around apple quarters.  Place seam side down in an 8x8 baking dish.  Melt sugar, butter and water in a saucepan until sugar is dissolved.  Pour syrup over dumplings.  Sprinkle with cinnamon.  

Bake for 35 minutes*

*Mine could have baked a bit longer, but they were starting to get over brown on top.  If I make them again, I may cover for the first 10 minutes or so.

Time for me to go lay down...
and succumb to my food induced coma.

Tata!


HDP