Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Moorish Mosaic Afghan

I think I'm officially a crochet nut (as if there was ever a doubt).  But I've decided to start on another project and work on it along side the baby blanket I wrote about last week.  This afghan takes quite a bit of concentration.  It requires a lot of color changes and eventually turning a small circle into various shapes until it reaches it's final metamorphose as an octagon.  The pattern is called Moorish Mosaic Afghan and can be found in Interweave Crochet Fall 2009 issue.  I believe the magazine is out of print, but if you go to their website, it is my understanding, that you can download the pattern for a small fee.

Now, I'm no stranger to this pattern as I did make one earlier in the year in browns, blues and grays (see below).  I originally started making the first one to give as a wedding present, but decided it was too artsy to give as a gift to the particular couple.  So, we use it in our family room when we watch TV. 


 I hadn't intended on making another one of these for a while, but one of the on-line groups I belong to decided to do a CAL (Crochet Along) with this pattern so I thought I'd join in.  I also have a family in mind that I'd like to give the latest one to and have based my colors on a picture of their rug (yarn colors below).

I'll be using Vanna's Choice yarn, which is a very plush 100% acrylic yarn.  I really like using this brand of yarn and it can be machine wash and dried, which I think is important.  As a bonus, using acrylic yarn tends to keep the cost of a project down versus a wool or wool blend which can cost quite a bit more.  

So, as you can see, I'm going to be a happy camper (crocheter) for a good two - three months; or a good little piece of time anyway.  Joy for today is in the crochet!